UFSC offers many activities that may interest its students, like to do sports, participate in a Competition team or even a Junior Enterprise.
- Students from our courses integrate seven out of ten competition teams related to UFSC Compete, the first Brazilian institution of its kind, created in 2001, right in the Mechanical Engineering Department, to provide support and legal representation to the university´s competition teams.
- Groups of students project and build prototypes of cars, boats and planes, for example, to participate in national and international competitions. Every semester/year, the teams open selective processes for new members.
- Click on their names to know more: Ampera Racing , Apex Rocketry, Baja UFSC, Céu Azul, e3, Fórmula UFSC and Vento Sul.
- They were regulated in 2016, and since then students may validate the work done in competition teams as extension activities.
- Non-profitable organizations comprised by students that offer and execute services related to their undergraduate courses
- Their members get in touch with the the labor market by having experiences as entrepreneurs
- In the Mechanical Engineering Department there are two Junior Enterprises: i9 Consultoria (projects in Mechanical Engineering) and EJEM (projects in Materials Engineering).
- Every semester, UFSC offers language courses to those willing to study German, Spanish, French, English and/or Italian.
- Inscription order will be considered because courses have limited availability. More details in https://capacitacao.ufsc.br/apoio-a-eventos/cursos-de-idiomas/cursos-extracurriculares-de-idiomas/
- Academic Centers organize political requests and actions from students they represent.
- They also promote activities to strengthen student integration.
- Click to know nore about Centro Acadêmico de Engenharia de Materiais (CAMAT) and Centro Acadêmico de Engenharia Mecânica (CAME).
Sports and Social activities
- Students are invited to play basketball, voleyball, soccer and tennis, as well as to have Pilates, swimming or dance classes.
- They may follow those courses as optional disciplines or outreach activities – in this last case, after paying a fee each semester.
- The Athletic Academical Association (ATM) also organizes sports and social events to integrate students.
- Eventually ATM and Academic Centers get involved in social projects or campaigns such as those directed for avoiding suicide and various forms of cancer.
ATM - Campanha Câncer de Mama
O mês passa, mas a luta contra o câncer nunca deve parar!O mês de outubro é conhecido como 'Outubro Rosa' pelas campanhas de conscientização contra o Câncer de Mama, contudo, a luta contra o câncer não deve acontecer apenas no mês de outubro e sim em todos os momentos. E essa é a campanha da ATM, que a luta contra o Câncer de Mama se dê em todos os momentos da vida, independente da idade e época do ano!#ATMrosa #ATMdoBem #goATMPublicado por ATM UFSC em Segunda-feira, 31 de outubro de 2016
- The so called University Library (Biblioteca Universitária) is formed by the Central Library, ten Local Libraries and two Reading Rooms . The collection can be consulted by internet (link consultado online).
- Students may withdraw a maximum of 10 books for a period of 15 days and renew ir for a longer one, as long as no reserves were made for those titles.
- The Central Library offers services like lending notebooks to be used in its facilities, as well as in courses and events.
- Free access to internet is provided at the first floor (Coordenadoria de Inclusão Digital).
UFSC ads and PODe
- In this site, students find advertising of products and services, including rentals and opportunities to share apartments.
- Another site, in Portuguese called Portal de Ofertas e Demandas e Pesquisa, Extensão e Inovação (PODe), even those not enrolled at UFSC can benefit from announcements about research volunteers and partners, scholarships, financing options, diverse services etc.
- Students that are able to prove their socioeconomic vulnerability may enroll in programs of student support. There are many options, among them the Student Lodge, with 154 places.
- The Central Board of Students work for improving the education quality and other conditions inside Federal institutions.
- It´s located in the campus center (Centro de Convivência da UFSC) and its name, Luís Travassos, honors a leader who fought against the past military dictatorship in Brazil.
- Lunch and dinner are offered by the University Restaurant at affordable price: R$ 1,50.
- To have this benefit, students need a card obtained at the sector adjancent to the restaurant (Setor de Emissão do Cartão UFSC).
- On weekdays, lunch is served from 11h to 13h30; dinner, from 17h to 19h30.
- The restaurant operates on holidays and weekends from 11h to 13h; and from 17h to 19h.
- The menu is available every day at site do RU.
Health and wellness
- With a proof of registration at UFSC, students may apply for free health assistance at Hospital Universitário. There is also Projeto Amanhecer, that offers psychological assistance and alternative therapies like massotherapy, reiki, yoga and hot stones therapy.
- To provide psychological support is also the goal of the Coordenadoria de Assistência Estudantil with its project directed to out-of-town students that are in one of the three first phases of their courses.
- Dental free services are provided by Curso de Odontologia. Appointments may be scheduled at the Univerisity Clinic on weekdays, from 7h to 18h, at the Health Sciences Center (Centro de Ciências da Saúde).
Living in Florianópolis
- Florianópolis is the Brazilian capital with the best HDI (Human Development Index)
- With approximately 478.000 inhabitants, Florianópolis has the highest density of people employed in technology companies among all hubs mentioned in the Acate Tech Report 2018, with more than 2,552 employees for every 100.000 inhabitants.
- In the summer, the population increases, as thousands of tourists come to the island.
- There is a lot to know in the land of “manezinhos” (natives of Floripa): more than 40 beaches, trails in the middle of the Atlantic Forest, forts, lagoons and a multitude of party options (including university ones).