- The Materials Engineering Undergraduate course offered by UFSC was created in 1999.
- Its first (quaterly) curriculum was inspired by the one used at University of Waterloo (Canada).
- In 2018, a semiannual curriculum was introduced for new students only.
UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES IN MATERIALS ENGINEERING
Difference in curricula
- Undergraduate students who entered until 2017.2 have a quarterly curriculum with 6 curricular internships (of 14 weeks each). Therefore, in 5 years, the course has 15 quarters of activities, with 9 academic phases (A1 to A9) and 6 internships (E1 to E6).
- Those who have entered since 2018 follow the semiannual curriculum, with 2 mandatory internships and 1 optional internship, during 10 academic semesters.
Internships are, nowadays, the main motivating factor of students for the course; basically, for the opportunities they offer to apply theory in practice, for the possibility of testing and developing skills and abilities, for the experience and contacts with the professional environment and, consequently, for the opening of job perspectives.